The Parish of St Michael and St. Nicholas,
Hetton Lyons with Eppleton.
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 24th January 2019.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Ensure there is a sympathetic environment and confidential space where anyone feels able to discuss safeguarding concerns. Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse and act appropriately and swiftly.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Be aware that anyone can be a victim/survivor or perpetrator of abuse.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Swiftly rectify any reported mistakes and errors in safeguarding procedures and set in place relevant mechanisms to ensure similar incidents are avoided in future.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, procedures and practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church has appointed Johanna Brass as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.